Applauded by Fleuroselect judges, Salvia coccinea 'Summer Jewel Red' is quicker to flower and more compact than other dwarf salvias. This free flowering variety bears its long lasting scarlet blooms above compact aromatic foliage. Scarlet Sage makes a stunning addition to borders and containers where it will attract pollinating insects to its fiery blooms. Although perennial, Salvia coccinea is half hardy and best treated as an annual in the UK.
- Height: 45cm (18").
- Spread: 30cm (12").
- Ideal For: patio, cottage gardens, wildlife gardens, exotic garden, cut flower garden
- Flowering Period:June, July, August, September, October
- Sowing Months:February, March, April
- Position:full sun
- Sow Salvia from February to April, in pots or trays on the surface of a moist seed compost and cover seeds with a sprinkling of finely sieved compost. Place in a propagator at a temperature of 20-25C (68-77F) until after germination, which usually takes 7-21 days. When seedlings are large enough to handle, transplant into 7.5cm (3") pots and grow on in cooler conditions.
- When all risk of frost has passed, gradually acclimatise scarlet sage plants to outdoor conditions over 7-10 days before planting outdoors. Plant salvia at a distance of 30cm (12") apart on any light, sandy, well drained soil in full sun.