How To Grow
10,000 seeds/gram. For a jump on the season, start seed indoors in a soil-less mix 6-8 weeks before planting outside in late May. Leave the seed uncovered on the growing medium apply bottom heat and maintain a temperature of 26 C (79 F) for the 7-14 day germination period. Grow on at a cooler temperature of 18 C (62 F) until hardening off and transplanting outside in late May to a fully sunny site. In hot areas where many other plants languish, these feisty, low growing, spreading plants will carpet an otherwise blasïc area in brilliant colours all summer long. Portulaca thrives in containers. Water only when potting soil is dry to touch. Over-watering seems to reduce vigour. Fertilize regularly. Bring on the heat!
- Blooming Season Begins: Late Spring
- Life Cycle : Annual
- Propagation : Start Indoors
- Days to Emergence : At 26 C (79 F) 7 to 14 days - cooler temperatures will lengthen germination time
- Light: Full Sun
- Growth Habit : Trailing
- Height : Medium (7 to 30 cm)
- Frost Tolerance : Killed by Frost
- Degree of Difficulty : Easy
- Heritage : Open Pollinated
- Family Name : Portulacaceae
- Latin : Portulaca grandiflora
- Suggested uses:
- Planters, containers and window boxes.
- Hot, sunny, dry problem areas.
- Massing in a sunny site..
- Hanging basket.
- Low border plant.